Ooey, gooey, cheesy white sauce goodness. What more do I need to say about this lasagna. It is layer upon layer of creamy mozzarella sauce, noodles, ricotta, chicken, spinach, and cheese. My mouth is literally watering.
This dinner is the ultimate comfort food. So rich, creamy, and filling. A perfect family dinner as the weather starts to cool down. Seriously though, what is better on a cold night then a big filling serving of pasta? Nothing, the answer is nothing.
This is one of those recipes that is great to make ahead on the weekend when you have some extra time and then during the week all you have to is pop it in the oven and bake. Boom! Dinner is done!
16 oz lasagna noodles
1/2 c butter
1 yellow onion, finely diced
2 tsp garlic, minced
1/2 c flour
2 c chicken broth
1 1/2 c milk
5 c mozzarella cheese, shredded
1 1/2 c parmesan cheese, shredded
1 tsp basil
1 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp pepper
2 c ricotta
2 c cooked chicken breast, chopped
10 oz package frozen cooked spinach, thawed and drained
1 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350º.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add 1 tablespoon of salt.
- Cook the noodles per the package instructions, drain, and rinse with cold water. Set aside until ready to assemble the lasagna.
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Cook the onion and garlic in the butter until cooked through.
- Stir in the flour until it begins to brown.
- Gradually add the broth and milk to the saucepan and whisk together.
- Allow the sauce to come to a boil and simmer for 2–3 minutes.
- Mix in 2 cups of the mozzarella, 3/4 cup of the parmesan, basil, oregano, 1/4 teaspoon each of salt and pepper. Stir until all the cheese is melted and well integrated.
- Remove the sauce from the stove and set aside.
- Spray a 9” x 13” baking dish with cooking spray.
- Ladle a quarter of the sauce into the bottom of the baking dish.
- Layer a quarter of the cooked noodles in the bottom of the baking dish and top with half of the ricotta, half of the chicken, and half of the spinach. Sprinkle with some of the mozzarella and parmesan and ladle another quarter of the sauce over the top.
- Repeat the previous step. Noodles, ricotta, chicken, spinach, cheese sauce.
- Add the final layer of noodles and top with all the remaining sauce and cheeses.
- Bake for 40–45 minutes or until the cheese is all melted and just starts to brown on top.
- Remove the lasagna from the oven and allow it to rest for 5–10 minutes.
- Sprinkle the parsley over the top.
- Cut and serve.