Fourth of July is right around the corner and that means it is summer party season! I absolutely love this time of year. Days sat around the pool, getting together with friends, and the awesome party food. Burgers, hot dogs, potato salad, garlic bread… yumm! But what is a summer BBQ without an amazing summer dessert? Crap. That’s what it is. I kid! I kid! For real though, every good bbq needs a good dessert. Like this one.
Beings that strawberries are in season this makes it the perfect summer dessert. If you have never made a poke cake then this recipe is a must try. It is so easy to make! You literally just poke holes into the baked cake and all the Jello just fills in the holes and soaks into the cake. It is incredibly moist and it just looks so pretty once you cut into it. Almost too pretty to eat. Almost. 😉
1 box white cake mix (as well as any ingredients it requires)
3 oz package strawberry Jello
1 pint heavy whipping cream
1/2 c powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla
fresh strawberries, sliced
- Prepare white cake per the package instructions in a 9” x 13” large square or rectangular baking dish and allow it to cool.
- Bring one cup of water to a boil and remove from heat.
- Add Jello to the hot water and stir until completely dissolved.
- Add one more cup of cold water to the Jello mix, continue to stir, and set aside.
- Using a fork, poke several holes into the cake.
- Pour the Jello evenly over the top of the cake.
- Cover the cake with plastic wrap and place in the fridge for a minimum of 3 hours.
- After the cake has set, combine the heavy whipping cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla in a mixing bowl and beat until the whip cream thickens up.
- Spread the whip cream over the top of the cake and then garnish with sliced strawberries as desired.
- Serve and enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Chef in Training.