You know what is great about breakfast? It is the one meal during the day where it is acceptable to eat a dish that can be classified as dessert as the main dish. You can’t do that for lunch or dinner. While I typically prefer savory items when it comes to breakfast, I can not pass up a well done danish or doughnut. And if you recall from my Cherry Cheesecake Bars or Sweet Cherry Chip Dip, cherries and cream cheese are like totally my jam.
We were hosting Mother’s Day at our house this year and since I was going to be in the kitchen cooking for all the amazing women in my life, I decided I was going to make all of my favorite things, these danishes being one of them. Now don’t go tell anyone, but these are so quick and easy to make. You can whip these up in less than 30 minutes and look at how beautiful they are!
Note: I have a weak spot for cherry danishes but you can mix things up and use your favorite type of pie filling.
1 package puff pastry (2 sheets), thawed
8 oz cream cheese, softened
1 tsp vanilla
4 tbsp Sugar
21 oz can cherry pie filling
1 tbsp water
- Preheat oven to 400º.
- On a lightly floured cutting board, unfold the puff pastry sheets.
- Cut each sheet into 9 equal squares so you have 18 total.
- With a butter knife, gently score a 1/2 inch border around the edge of each piece of puff pastry
- Using a fork, poke each pastry square 3–4 times in the middle.
- Combine the cream cheese, vanilla, and sugar in a mixing bowl and beat until well combined.
- Place a heaping tablespoon of the cream cheese mixture in the center of each square and spread it evenly, ensuring it stays within the border.
- In the middle of each square, place a large spoonful of the pie filling.
- Transfer the squares to a parchment paper lined baking sheet as you finish each one up.
- Beat the egg and water together in a small bowl.
- Brush the edges of each pastry with the egg wash.
- Bake for 15–20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove the pastries from the baking sheet and allow to cool.