How many times have you bought a box of quick and easy rice pilaf at the store? I think we all have at some point or another, I know I’m guilty of it on numerous occasions. Ever since having my son I have become much more aware of what I am serving up at the dinner table. One night I actually looked at a box of rice pilaf as I was making it and realized that there were over 25 ingredients (none of which were veggies like this recipe has) and I didn’t even know what half of the listed ingredients were. (Scary!) This recipe for homemade rice pilaf has 10 ingredients and a third of those are veggies. (Yummy!) This recipe actually ends up being really quick and easy and tastes way fresher than the stuff you get in a box. It is super simple and yet a great side dish for almost any dinner.
Note: Be sure to taste it before serving, I noticed once I added in a little more salt the flavors suddenly really popped. The salt really helped to highlight the flavor of the turmeric.
1 1/2 c long-grain rice
2 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, chopped into small pieces
1 carrot, chopped into small pieces
1 c frozen peas
1 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp paprika
salt and pepper
- Cook rice per package instructions.
- While the rice is cooking, heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and cook until it begins to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Add in the carrot and cook for another 5 minutes or until tender.
- Stir in the peas, turmeric, cumin, paprika, salt and pepper.
- After the rice has sat covered per the package instructions transfer it to the skillet
- with the veggies.
- Stir to combine.
- Taste and add additional salt as needed.