Last month we celebrated my son’s third birthday. I knew I wanted to send him to school with some sort of treats to share with all his friends. Well, his birthday is the day after Valentine’s Day so that week is already pretty hectic for me. I didn’t have tons of time to spend on baking and frosting individual mini-cupcakes like I wanted to. I needed something easy that I could make a lot of, and fast. I stumbled upon a recipe for sugar cookie bars. I knew they would be perfect! They had a cute festive look to them and were so easy to make. They turned out perfect! They were just the right size for a bunch of toddlers and I didn’t have to frost them all individually. These sugar cookie bars are perfect for any occasion. Have fun with different festive colored frostings and sprinkles. (I love sprinkles!)
COOKIE BAR INGREDIENTS
1/2 c butter, softened
1 c sugar
1 tsp vanilla
2 1/2 c flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 c butter
1/2 tsp vanilla
pinch of salt
2 c powdered sugar
2–3 tbsp milk
- Preheat oven to 375º.
- Using an electric mixer beat together the sugar and butter until fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Beat in the eggs and vanilla making sure to mix well.
- In a separate bowl combine the flour, salt, and baking soda and stir to combine.
- Gradually mix the dry ingredients into the creamy mixture.
- Line a xx” x xx” baking dish with parchment paper going both directions.
- Press the cookie dough into the lined baking dish.
- Bake for 12–14 minutes.
- Allow cookie bars to cool completely.
- Using an electric mixer beat together the butter, vanilla, salt, and powdered sugar until well combined.
- Gradually add in the milk until your frosting reaches the desired consistency. (If it becomes too runny just add in a bit more powdered sugar.
- Once your frosting reaches desired consistency beat in the food coloring.
- Spread the cookie bars with the frosting and top with sprinkles.
- Place in the refrigerator for 1 hour and use a pizza wheel to cut into squares with ease.
1 thought on “Recipe—Sugar Cookie Bars”