Tomatoes and basil are like an Italian match made in heaven. You can almost guarantee that anything made with those two ingredients will be amazing. One of my favorite ways to bring them together is in a classic bruschetta made up of tomatoes, basil, garlic, and olive oil. So simple but so damn good! Now imagine that fresh bruschetta spooned over a juicy chicken breast smothered in zesty pesto and a layer of melted mozzarella cheese. That my friends, is one hell of a tasty main dish for dinner.
I like to just eat this chicken on it’s own but with the carb monsters I live with, I tend to serve it for them with a side of rice pilaf or over a bed of pasta alfredo. This recipe is so easy to put together, but it looks fancy enough, that you can totally serve it for dinner guests.
BAKED CHICKEN INGREDIENTS
3–4 boneless skinless chicken breast
salt & pepper
1 c pesto
2 c mozzarella, shredded
2 large ripe tomatoes, diced
8–10 basil leaves, chopped
1 tsp garlic, minced
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
salt & pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400º.
- Place the chicken breasts in a lightly greased baking dish and season both sides with salt and pepper.
- Spread the pesto over the tops of the chicken breasts and sprinkle with the mozzarella cheese.
- Place the baking dish in the oven and bake for about 25 minutes or until the chicken is cooked completely through and mozzarella is just starting to brown up.
- While the chicken is cooking, combine all the bruschetta ingredients in a medium bowl and stir to combine.
- When the chicken is done cooking, transfer them to a plate and finish with a big scoop of that fresh bruschetta.