California is one of the leading producers of asparagus in the United Stated. Asparagus is so big in California that the city of Stockton even throws an entire festival in honor of asparagus. True story! I grew up eating asparagus on a regular basis. (By the way, I am 33 and still crack up that it gives you stinky pee. I don’t think I will ever grow up.) I could eat asparagus every day. There are just so many ways to prepare it but I think I have found my favorite way to eat the lovely green spears, grilled asparagus and feta salad. Man this was awesome! My husband and I devoured the whole bowl so if you are cooking for more than 2 people just go ahead and double or triple the recipe. Trust me you will eat it all! There was just so much flavor in the salad and it was so light and refreshing. Perfect for spring or summer. We just served it with a simple grilled chicken breast seasoned with nothing more than salt and pepper and it was the perfect complement. This my friends, is good eating.
Want to know more about asparagus? Then check out this old post and you will be an asparagus pro!
1 bunch thick asparagus, ends trimmed
3 tbsp olive oil, divided
1/4 tsp kosher salt
1/4 tsp pepper
zest from one lemon
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/2 c crumbled feta cheese
- Preheat the grill to about 325º.
- Place the asparagus in a baking dish and coat with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil and then season with salt and pepper.
- Place the asparagus on the grille making sure that they are perpendicular to the grates so that they don’t slip through.
- Close the grill and cook for 3 minutes.
- roll the asparagus over and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Remove the asparagus and transfer to a cutting board.
- Allow the asparagus to cool for 5–10 minutes.
- Cut the spears into 1–2” pieces.
- Place the cut asparagus into a medium bowl and toss with the remaining tablespoon of olive oil, lemon zest, lemon juice, and half of the feta.
- Top the salad with the remaining asparagus and serve warm or at room temperature.
Recipe adapted from Once Upon a Chef.
1 thought on “Recipe—Asparagus and Feta Salad”