This is actually a recipe adapted from one my mother-in-law made back around the holidays. They seemed like such a great idea and were absolutely delicious. She brought her Mexican inspired wraps over all rolled up in Saran wrap and then just sliced them when she got to our house. They traveled great! When she put them out I could not stop eating them. They were so yummy! So when I was invited to a summer pool party a couple weeks back I knew these would be a hit! Me being the tinkerer I am I had to put my own twist on them. I added in the chicken, olives, and cilantro to help bulk up the filling. They were wonderful additions. If you have any parties coming up definitely keep these in mind. They are relatively easy to assemble and are the perfect finger food for a party of any kind.
Note: You can use a couple of tablespoons of my homemade taco seasoning or just part of an envelope of taco seasoning you would pick up at the store. If you like a little heat add in a chopped jalapeño.
2-8 ox packages cream cheese, softened
1 1/2 c shredded Mexican cheese blend
1 tsp garlic, minced
2 tbsp taco seasoning
10 oz can Rotel tomatoes and chilies, drained
rotisserie chicken, skinned and chopped
1/2 c cilantro, chopped
4 green onions, chopped
4.25 oz chopped black olives
1 package burrito sized tortillas
- Using an electric mixer beat together cream cheese, shredded cheese, garlic, and taco seasoning until well blended.
- Fold in the canned tomatoes, chicken, cilantro, green onions, and chopped olives.
- Lay a tortilla out flat and place a heaping spoonful of the creamy mixture in the center.
- Use a rubber spatula and spread an even layer of the filling out to the edges of the tortilla.
- Roll up the tortilla and as you finish each place on a cutting board or plate.
- Continue until the filling is gone.
- Place the rolls in the freezer for 30–45 minutes allowing them to firm up. (I do this step so that when I slice them they keep their round shape.)
- Slice the rolls into 1 inch thick pieces and arrange on a plate.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.