The 110º day in Sacramento a couple of weeks ago was a brutal reminder that the summer heat is in full swing! During the hot days I avoid using the oven whenever I can. I’d much rather send the hubby outside to operate the grill allowing me to enjoy a lazy evening. This is a quick and easy, flavor packed, and super refreshing salmon recipe, perfect for these warm summer nights. The salmon is seasoned with some of my favorite Mexican spices giving it a nice little oomph and the avocado salsa is cool and refreshing making this a perfectly balanced dish. It is light in calories and carbs, perfect for anyone looking for a great tasting and healthy meal.
2 lbs salmon filets
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp salt
1 tsp coriander
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp black pepper
AVOCADO SALSA INGREDIENTS
3 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp salt
1 avocado, peeled, deseeded, and sliced
1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
1 jalapeño, deseeded, deveined, and chopped
1/4 red bell pepper, deseeded, deveined, and chopped
1/4 yellow bell pepper, deseeded, deveined, and chopped
2 tbsp cilantro, chopped
- Pat the salmon dry and rub the meat side of the fish with the olive oil.
- In a small bowl, mix together the salt, coriander, cumin, paprika, onion powder, and pepper.
- Season the meat side of the filet with seasoning mix and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- While the salmon is chilling make the avocado salsa by whisking together 3 tablespoons of olive oil, juice from 2 limes, and salt in a small bowl
- Combine the avocado, red onion, peppers, and cilantro in a medium bowl and pour the juice mixture over the salsa and gently stir to combine.
- Refrigerate avocado salsa until ready to serve.
- Preheat the grill to 325º.
- Grill the salmon for about 4–6 minutes per side or until desired doneness.
- Transfer the salmon to a cutting board and allow it to sit for 5 minutes before serving.
- Place the salmon steaks on plates and top with the avocado salsa.
Recipe adapted from Laylita’s Recipes.