It is FINALLY starting to feel like winter in California! We have been having 60–70 degree days in December and January. Not normal! Don’t get me wrong, I love nice weather but one of my favorite things about Cali is that we usually have 4 very distinct seasons. I love being bundled up with a cozy scarf and boots on a cold winter day with a big bowl of soup and it has just not been that kind of winter. Well we just got our first spell of rain in what feels like months! This led me to go into full on soup mode.
Broccoli cheddar soup has always been one of my all time favorite soups. It is so rich, creamy, and filling. (Exactly what you need after you made your new year’s resolutions right?) Well give yourself a cheat day and serve this up with an old-fashioned grilled cheese sandwich for a real winter treat. A perfect warm up for a cold winter day!
1/4 c butter
1 tbsp garlic, minced
1 yellow onion, diced
1/4 tsp thyme
3 tbsp flour
3 c milk
3 c chicken broth
1 c heavy cream
2 heads broccoli, chopped
1 c cheddar cheese, shredded
1/4 c parmesan, grated
- Melt the butter in a large pot over medium-high heat.
- Add the garlic, onion, and thyme and cook stirring occasionally until the onion is translucent, about 4–5 minutes.
- Add in the flour and mix until well combined and it starts to brown, about 1 minute.
- Gradually whisk in milk, broth, and cream.
- Stir in the chopped broccoli and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook until the broccoli is tender, about 8–10 minutes.
- Add in the shredded cheeses and stir until smooth and melted, about 2 minutes.
- Season to taste with the salt and white pepper.
- Serve and top with additional shredded cheddar if desired.
- Serve immediately.