Over the summer the wonderful people at Del Real sent me a massive party box of all sorts of wonderful goodies to try out. One of the items was a package of seasoned shredded beef (carne deshebrada). As soon as I saw it I thought to myself, “wow, having cooked and seasoned meat all ready to go would make enchiladas a total breeze!”
I decided to try and simplify the usually overly complex enchilada process. The name of this recipe describes it to a “t.” I am a huge fan of enchiladas. I make them fairly regularly but when I do the kitchen ends up in total disarray because of all the work that goes into them. This recipe uses only 5 ingredients but makes enough food to feed a small army.
Note: This recipe makes about 12 enchiladas. Since there are only 2 1/2 people in our household I cooked 4 that night and then put the rest into two 8” x 8” foil containers and froze them. That is 3 nights worth of dinner for about $5 a meal. Who can beat that? Cheap and easy. That is my style.
32 oz package Del Read Shredded Beef
12 soft taco sized flour tortillas
2 (28 oz) can Las Palmas Enchilada Sauce (red or green)
4 c jack cheese, shredded
1 c black olives, sliced
- Heat the meat per package instructions.
- Preheat oven to 425º.
- After the meat is done cooking transfer it to a large bowl and toss with 1 1/2 cups of the enchilada sauce.
- Spray your baking dish(es) with a non stick spray or lightly grease.
- Pour enough enchilada sauce in the bottom of your baking dish(es) to cover the bottom.
- On a large cutting board, lay a tortilla out flat and add a scoop full of meat and sprinkle with cheese and a few of the sliced olives.
- Roll up the enchilada and place seam side down in your “sauced up” bake dish and repeat until you are out of ingredients.
- Pour the remaining sauce over the tops of the enchiladas.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese and olives.
- Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove foil and finish off in the oven for another 10–15 minutes or until the cheese is nice and melted and just starting to brown.
- Allow the enchiladas to cool for 5 minutes before serving.
- Top with sour cream or guacamole if desired.
A huge thank you to Del Real for giving me the opportunity to try out several of your products. I love them all! You guys rock!