I run a household that always seems to be full of friends and family who come to visit on the weekends. I absolutely love entertaining and cooking delicious meals for my visitors. What I don’t love is when I’m in the kitchen for hours on end. It means I am missing out on valuable time with them. This is a breakfast dish that is perfect for when you are entertaining, or heck, even if you just want an easy breakfast in the morning for the family. You prepare this in advance before your company even arrives, and then just pull it out and pop it in the oven in the morning. And by make it in advance is that you literally take the ingredients, plop them in a dish (in an orderly fashion of course) and refrigerate. How much more easy could it get? Easy to prep and easy to bake. That is my kind of breakfast!
12 slices French toast bread, cut into 1” cubes
16 oz (2-8 oz blocks) cream cheese, cut into cubes
2 c blueberries
2 c milk
1/2 c syrup
1 tsp vanilla
- Grease a 9” x 13” baking dish.
- Spread half of the bread cubes into the bottom of the baking dish.
- Sprinkle about three quarters of the cream cheese cubes over the bread.
- Sprinkle about three quarters of the blueberries into the dish.
- Top with remaining bread, cream cheese, and blueberries.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, syrup, and vanilla.
- Pour the egg mixture over the entire dish.
- Using your fingers or the back of a spatula gently press all of the bread pieces down into the egg mixture.
- Cover the baking dish with foil and place in the fridge 8 hours or overnight.
- When ready to bake remove the dish from the fridge and allow it to sit on the counter for about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350º.
- Keep the dish covered in foil and bake for 45 minutes.
- Remove the foil and continue baking until the top is s nice golden brown and the egg mixture is set, about an additional 20–30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow it to cool for 5 minutes.
- Cut and serve.