Finding family friendly low-carb recipes can be a struggle. One go to ingredient you can work miracles with are eggs. Yes, the incredible, edible egg! I love that you can mix in practically any ingredients with eggs, throw the mixture in a pie dish and voilá! Dinner is done! Call it a frittata, a quiche, a pie, whatever your heart desires. My son is a cheeseburger fanatic (what 3 year old boy isn’t?) so when I told him we were having a cheeseburger pie for dinner his little blue eyes lit up. (It amazes me that all I have to do to get him to try something new is give it a fun name. Now if only that trick worked with my husband…) When I initially made this it was for dinner, but I will tell you the leftovers make an awesome breakfast too. Who would have thought of throwing all your favorite hamburger toppings right into a pie dish? I will tell you who, this crazy diva!
3/4–1 lb of lean ground beef
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1 yellow onion, chopped
2 c slice white mushrooms
6 large eggs
3 tbsp milk
1 1/2 c shredded Swiss cheese
- Preheat oven to 400º.
- In a large skillet cook the ground beef over medium high heat.
- When the meat is still a little pink add in the salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion, and mushrooms.
- Cook until the onions are translucent and meat cooked through.
- Remove from heat and drain off any excess fat.
- In a large mixing bowl whisk together the eggs, milk, and 1 cup of the shredded Swiss cheese.
- Add the cooked meat mixture to the mixing bowl and stir to combine.
- Transfer the egg mixture to a greased pie dish.
- Sprinkle the remaining Swiss cheese over the top.
- Bake for 25–35 minutes or until set and no longer “jiggly” in the middle.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes before cutting and serving.