I love a big thick juicy homemade beef burger just as much as any one else, but I also love coming up with tasty alternatives to the all American meal. When I saw a recipe for an Italian sausage burger on Huffington Post I knew I had to try it. I love the flavor of Italian sausage and like Popeye I love my greens. So I made my own little tweaks and made these fantastic Italian sausage burgers. They were awesome! They are definitely rich, but oh so tasty.
1 lb bulk Italian sausage, formed into 4 thin patties
4 slices of provolone cheese
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tsp garlic, minced
1 bunch chard, kale, or spinach, inner stalks stripped out and greens chopped
1/4 c pesto
1/4 c mayonnaise
4 ciabatta rolls, cut in half
- Heat a large skillet to medium-high heat.
- Add the sausage patties and cook until browned on the bottom, about 5–7 minutes.
- Flip the patties and cook on the other side for an additional 5–7 minutes or until cooked all the way through. (Top each patty with a slice of provolone during the last couple of minutes.)
- While the sausage patties are cooking, heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the garlic and chopped greens.
- Cook until the greens are wilted and tender and season with salt.
- Place the ciabatta rolls in the oven to lightly toast and heat through.
- In a small bowl mix together the pesto and mayonnaise.
- Spread the cut side of each roll with the pesto mayonnaise.
- Place the cooked patty on the bottom bun and top with cooked greens and top bun.
Recipe adapted from Huffington Post.