I swear, I take one look at this photo and I instantly start to salivate. Jalapenos, cheddar, and cream cheese coming together in the perfect combination. Add in some flavor packed shredded chicken on big warm bun and you will have a super tasty sandwich. Not only do I love this recipe because it tastes amazing but I also love it because it takes no more than 3 minutes to prepare and maybe 5 minutes to finish. Just throw together some greens for a salad or some fries in the oven and you have a meal ready to go. Perfect for us working folks who never seem to have enough time at the end of the day.
2 lb boneless skinless chicken breast
1 small onion, diced
2 tbsp garlic, minced
2 (10 oz) cans original Rotel Diced Tomatoes and Green Chilies
2 tbsp chili powder
1 tbsp cumin
1 tsp salt
1/2 c heavy cream
2 oz cream cheese
1 c cheddar cheese, shredded
1/4 c canned jalapeños, chopped
extra canned jalapeños for topping
- Place the chicken, onion, garlic, and Rotel in the crock-pot.
- In a small bowl mix together the chili powder, cumin, and salt and sprinkle over all the items in the crock-pot.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 hours or high for 4 hours.
- Remove the cooked breasts from the pot and transfer to a cutting board.
- Using two forks shred the chicken and place back into the crock-pot.
- Cover the crock-pot and keep on low.
- While the chicken is soaking up all those tasty flavors start the cheese sauce by heating the heavy cream over medium-high heat.
- Allow the cream to come to a boil stirring constantly.
- Whisk in the cream cheese until melted.
- Add in the cheddar and chopped jalapeños and stir until smooth.
- Assemble the sandwiches by placing a scoop of the shredded chicken onto the bottom of the bun (I use tongs to try and squeeze out the excess juice), then add a spoonful of the cheese sauce, add additional sliced jalapeños if desired, and top with the other half of the bun.
- Chow down!
Recipe adapted from Food Fanatic.