Happy new year! How is 2014 treating you all so far? Hopefully absolutely fabulously!
First off I want to apologize for my absence over the past few months. Life has been super busy! I started a new job back in September managing one of the most awesome design studios and it has taken some time to find the right balance in life. My resolution for 2014 is to get back to some regular blogging so I have lots of great things coming for you. I have still been cookin’ up a storm while away so I have plenty of tasty new recipes to share. Now the question is, where to start!
Since it’s winter and we are all still recovering from the holiday madness how about one of my all time favorite soup recipes? It is a quick and easy crock-pot recipe that will be sure to warm you up.
When I was in high school I used to work in a little mom and pop owned coffee shop called Full O’ Beans. (People actually came in thinking it was a Mexican restaurant.) This coffee shop had the best soups and sandwiches! One of my all time favorite soups they served on occasion was the chicken and wild rice. It was delicious! I would have a big bowl at work and then fill up a big styrofoam cup to take home for later. It was one of those comfort soups that I just couldn’t get enough of. Well I finally put together this recipe that is out of this world good and reminds me of the coffee shop’s homemade chicken soup. This soup is easy, delicious, “souper” filling, and best of all it is made in the crock-pot. What more can a girl ask for? Now go make a big pot of this soup and snuggle up under a blanket on the couch while you wait for it to cook. Or do like I do, and just go to work. 😉
4 c chicken broth
2 c water
1 box Rice-a-Roni long grain and wild rice
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 c carrots, chopped
1 cup celery, sliced
1/2 c butter
1/3 c flour
2 c half and half
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp salt
- In your crock-pot mix together broth, water, and rice (including seasoning pack).
- Add in the chicken breasts, carrots, and celery.
- Cook on low for 6–8 hours or on high for 3–4 hours.
- Remove the chicken breasts from the crock-pot and break it up into pieces using a fork. Return the chicken to the crock-pot.
- In a medium saucepan melt your butter over medium heat.
- Gradually mix in the flour until well combined.
- Whisk in the half and half and season with the salt and pepper.
- Add the creamy base mixture to the crock-pot and stir until well combined.
- Allow the soup to cook on low for another 15 minutes.
- Try the soup and season to taste. If it is too thick you can add a little water to thin it out.
15 thoughts on “Recipe—Crock-Pot Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup”
I remember when you worked there! You introduced me to the worlds best blended Mocha! Those were the days! Thanks for the soup! Can’t wait to try it!
So now I have to ask, who is this? And you are welcome for the recipe! Hope you enjoy it! 😉
This sounds wonderful and I will definitely make this receipe.
I hope you like it! 🙂
Welcome back Diva
Why thank you! 🙂
Yes she has been gone way to long!!!!!
Yes, I thrilled to see you back. Now that I’m retired I’ve been cooking from scratch trying new recipes. You have a wonderful blog and I enjoy your writing style! Keep it up. Diane
Thank you so much! I hope you enjoy what I have coming in 2014!
Yes, I’ve missed the Diva too!!
Awww… why thank you! 🙂
How many servings does this recipe make?
I would have to guestimate 6 bowls. 🙂
Viva di Diva! This was great!
Happy to hear it was a hit! 🙂