My husband is the grill master. Whenever we are grilling up any kind of meat I let him handle the seasoning of the meat. This steak dinner is the exception. This is a recipe that I like to prepare for him. (He still does the grilling of course. Grills have a way of making the mascara on my eyelashes melt. Grilling is not my thing.) This is actually a recipe I found in one of my many Rachel Ray cookbooks and it is probably my favorite recipe of hers. The spicy rub is out of this world amazing if you like a little heat, and I do mean little, I promise your mouth wont’ be on fire or anything like that. When this tasty steak is paired with the sweet grilled red onions prepare for a party in your mouth. Oh man, tasty goodness! Ladies if you want to impress your man with an out of this world steak then cook him this. You will make his palette and his stomach very happy. So happy, you may even be able to get a nice foot massage out of it. *wink wink*
4 New York Steaks (10–12 ounces each)
1 1/2 tbsp chili powder
1 1/2 tbsp cumin
1 tsp coriander
1 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 large red onion, cut into 1/3” thick slices
salt and pepper
- In a small bowl combine chili powder, cumin, coriander, kosher slat, and cayenne pepper.
- Remove the steaks from the refrigerator and run an even amount of the seasoning all over the steaks.
- Set the steaks aside and allow to rest for a half hour.
- While the steaks are marinating, drizzle the slices of red onion with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. (I use a toothpick inserted in the sides of the onion slices to help hold them together while on the grille.)
- Preheat the grill to high heat.
- Once the grill has reached temperature cook the onions and steaks for about 5–6 minutes on each side flipping once or until the steaks have reached desired temperature.
- Transfer the steaks to a cutting board or serving dish and allow them to rest for 5 minutes for the juices to redistribute.
- Garnish each steak with a pile of the grilled red onions.
- Serve and chow down.
Recipe adapted from Rachel Ray.
3 thoughts on “Recipe—Rio Grande Spice Rub New York Steaks with Grilled Red Onions”
Looks absolutely amazing … I can almost taste it!!