Any recipe that has bacon, cheese, and jalapeños is a home run in my book. Wrap that up in a flaky delicate layer of puff pastry and it is a grand slam baby! These look like they would be heavy because they are good sized but the puff pastry is actually really light. These are the perfect appetizers for any occasion. The puff pastry takes what is an average appetizer and glamorizes them. Delicate enough for girl’s night in or macho enough for a guy’s night of watching sports. Either way, everyone will love them!
9 jalapeños, halved lengthwise, deseeded, and deveined
1 package puff pastry (2 sheets), thawed
8 oz cream cheese softened
1/2 c bacon, cooked and chopped
1 c cheddar cheese, shredded
2 tsp garlic, minced
salt and pepper
1 tbsp water
- Preheat oven to 400º.
- In a medium-mixing bowl combine the cream cheese, bacon, cheddar cheese, garlic, and some salt and pepper.
- Stuff each pepper half with a heaping mound of the cheese filling and set aside.
- Unfold the thawed puff pastry and cut each sheet into 9 squares.
- Wrap each stuffed pepper in one of the pastry squares and place on a parchment paper lined baking sheet as you finish them, making sure they are about an inch apart.
- Whisk together the egg and water and brush the egg wash over the top of each popper.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until the poppers are golden brown on top.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes before serving.
Recipe adapted from Reclaiming Your Castle.