A few weeks back I received some violet queen purple broccoli in my produce box. It was the most gorgeous piece of produce I have ever seen! It was almost too pretty to eat… almost being the key word there. I was over the moon about this exciting piece of produce and wanted to do something really spectacular with it. Alas, my busy schedule kept me from really thinking outside the box so I made one of my favorite broccoli recipes with it, a broccoli and cheddar egg bake (a.k.a. a quiche with no crust, perfect for the low-carb lover).
This purple broccoli was just too pretty not to show you! I just wanted to put it in a vase on my table. Once the broccoli was cooked it looked slightly darker than a typical bunch of green broccoli. It ended up loosing most of that purple coloring.
One thing I truly love about egg bakes is that they are perfect for any meal of the day, breakfast, lunch, or dinner and they are so versatile. You can add any ingredients you want! This recipe is written with some pretty basic ingredients but you can go wild with whatever you like. Red bell peppers and mushrooms are also great additions. I made this one for dinner the other night and just served it with some toast. The leftovers made an awesome breakfast the next day. Gotta love it when you make a meal you can stretch out over a few days.
8 slices of bacon, chopped
1/2 yellow onion, chopped
1/4 c milk
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
2 1/2 c broccoli, chopped and steamed
1 small tomato, chopped
2 c cheddar, shredded (divided)
- Preheat oven to 350º.
- In a skillet over medium-high heat cook your bacon until done.
- Remove cooked bacon from skillet and dispose of most of the grease leaving a tablespoon.
- Sauté the onion in the reserved bacon grease over medium-high heat until brown and caramelized.
- While the onions are cooking scramble the eggs, milk, garlic powder, salt, and pepper in a large mixing bowl.
- Mix in the bacon, steamed broccoli, chopped tomato, sautéed onion, and 1 1/2 cups of the cheddar cheese to the mixing bowl.
- Pour the egg mixture in a greased 8” x 8” baking dish.
- Sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup of cheese over the top.
- Bake for 35–45 minutes or until the center is set.
- Remove the egg bake from the oven and allow it to sit for 5 minutes before cutting and serving.
2 thoughts on “Recipe—Broccoli and Cheddar Egg Bake”