I am pretty sure I have mentioned before how much my family and I love our Mexican. Absolutely love it! In my opinion, a Mexican dish is truly not complete without a side of rice. This foolproof red rice goes fantastic with any Mexican dish. It’s not spicy but it is flavor packed so it’s perfect for everyone. The rich tomatoes complement the garlic and onion nicely and the warm cumin and chili powder give it just the right amount of oomph. Your family will think it was made in a restaurant. It is so simple to make and is much better than the packaged Mexican rice you get at the store. Give it a try!
Note: If you are someone that likes rice with a spicy kick, try adding a touch of cayenne pepper.
2 tbsp oil
1 c white or brown rice, uncooked
1 tbsp garlic, minced
1 small yellow onion, chopped
2 medium tomatoes, chopped or a 15 oz canned petite diced tomatoes
1/2 c tomato sauce
1 c chicken or beef broth (pick based on what you are serving your rice with)
1 tbsp chili powder
1/2 tsp cumin
3/4 tsp salt
- In a large skillet heat your olive oil.
- Add the rice and cook over medium high heat until the rice is a golden brown making sure to stir frequently. This will take a few minutes.
- Mix in the garlic and onion sautéing until the onion begins to brown.
- Add in the tomatoes, tomato sauce, broth, chili powder, cumin, and salt.
- Bring to a boil, lower heat, and cover.
- Allow to simmer for 20–25 minutes.
- Remove the skillet from stove and allow to sit covered for 5–10 minutes.
- Fluff with a fork before serving.
3 thoughts on “Recipe—Mexican Red Rice (Arroz Rojo)”