This is a quick and simple chicken recipe that is easy enough to enjoy mid-week after work and impressive enough to serve up at a dinner party. Every time I have made this, my guests and family have “cleaned” their plates. It is a lovely creamy comfort dish that has loads of flavor. The Italian dressing from the marinated chicken and the capers give the dish a nice little zest and goes with the earthy mushroom flavor nicely. I love it served with rice or potatoes. You just will want to put this rich sauce over everything on your plate. Mmmmmm… If you actually have any leftovers they are great for lunch the next day! My work days always seem better when I know I will have a yummy lunch to enjoy later.
Note: If you are short on time you can cut the chicken into 1” cubes and it will cook much quicker.
1 c Italian dressing
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
3 tbsp butter, divided
8 oz white mushrooms, sliced
3 tbsp rice vinegar
1 pt whipping cream
3 tbsp capers, drained
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
6.5 oz jar artichoke hearts, drained
- Marinade your chicken breasts in the Italian dressing for at least 1 hour.
- Using a large skillet melt 1 tbsp of the butter over medium-high heat and cook mushrooms until brown and tender, about 5–10 minutes.
- Remove mushrooms from skillet and place to the side.
- Add the remaining 2 tbsp of butter to the skillet and add the chicken breasts.
- Cook the chicken for 10–18 minutes or until no longer pink, turning occasionally.
- Transfer chicken to a serving dish and cover with foil to keep warm.
- Remove skillet from heat and add the vinegar, stirring to loosen all the browned bits in the bottom of the skillet.
- Return skillet to low heat and stir in cream, capers, and pepper.
- Bring sauce to a boil and cook uncovered until thickened, about 4–6 minutes.
- Return mushrooms to skillet and add artichoke hearts heating through.
- Pour the creamy sauce over your chicken breasts and serve immediately.