It’s strawberry season in California! It’s the time of year when you can find those big delicious bright red berries everywhere you look. At your grocery store, the farmer’s market, and sometimes even on your drive on backcountry roads. I grew up eating strawberries by the basketful. No seriously. Ask my mom. We used to have to get two baskets at the store just so one of them would make it home. I remember sitting in the front seat of the car on our drive home from the store and emptying one of those little green baskets. I would be covered in sticky sweet red berry juice. Ahhhh… sweet memories. Speaking of, what ever happened to those green baskets? They were the best for crafts! Sorry, I’m getting off track. I love strawberries! That’s my point here.
This strawberry pie recipe is so perfect for the summer. I believe this pie coined the term, “easy as pie,” because anyone can make it, and in minutes at that. It is so refreshing and light and perfect for your next summer gathering. Heck, it’s perfect for any day of the week! You won’t need a special occasion for this refreshing and oh so delicious pie.
1 sheet of refrigerated piecrust at room temperature
1 1/2 pints ripe strawberries
1 (3 oz) package strawberry Jell-O
2 tbsp cornstarch
2 c water
1/2 c sugar
1 pint heavy whipping cream
4 tbsp powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 450º.
- Unroll your piecrust and line a pie dish with a single sheet.
- Pierce the bottom of your piecrust with a fork several times.
- Bake at 450º for 9–11 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- While piecrust is cooling thinly slice your berries.
- In a medium saucepan mix the package of Jell-O with the cornstarch.
- Add the water and sugar to pan.
- Cook over medium heat while stirring occasionally until boiling.
- Add the sliced berries to your piecrust making sure that they are evenly distributed.
- Pour the Jell-O mixture over the strawberries.
- Place the pie in the refrigerator and allow to chill for 4–5 hours or until it sets.
- Before serving the pie, prepare your whip cream by mixing the cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla using a hand mixer. Mix on high speed for 2–3 minutes or until desired thickness.
- Top pie with your homemade whip cream.
- Slice, serve, and enjoy!
2 thoughts on “Recipe—Strawberry Pie”