When it comes to spicy foods buffalo chicken has got to be one of my favorites. I just can’t get enough of those delicious little wings drenched in buffalo sauce especially when served with a side of cool blue cheese dressing and celery. Mmmmm… my mouth is now watering.
This recipe is a great way to turn a popular appetizer into a full dinner. The blue cheese slaw is a perfect complement to the buffalo baked chicken since the tartness of the lemon coupled with the creaminess of the blue cheese really balances out the spiciness of the sauce. Keep this nice light dinner in mind for these upcoming warm summer months. Enjoy!
Note: You can control the heat by using less sauce or getting a sauce that is milder in heat. If you are looking for a tasty finger food make this buffalo baked chicken recipe with breast tenders instead of the whole breasts.
1 c blue cheese crumbles
juice from 2 lemons
1/2–3/4 c mayonnaise
4 celery stalks, sliced
2 cups shredded carrots
6 green onions, thinly sliced
3 c green cabbage, shredded
1 c red cabbage, shredded
You can substitute 3–4 cups of Fresh Express 3-Color Deli Cole Slaw for the green and red cabbage to save some time. It is sold in bags in your store’s produce department.
- In a large salad bowl stir together blue cheese, lemon juice, and mayonnaise.
- Add in the celery, shredded carrots, green onions, and shredded cabbage.
- Mix thoroughly and if slaw seems dry add in more mayonnaise.
- Cover and place in fridge to chill while preparing chicken.
BUFFALO BAKED CHICKEN INGREDIENTS
6 tbsp butter
3/4 c buffalo sauce (I love Frank’s Red Hot Buffalo Wings Sauce!)
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
salt and pepper
2 c croutons
1/2 c flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- Pre-heat the oven 400º F.
- Melt butter over low heat in a small pot and stir in hot sauce.
- Place chicken in a large bowl and season with salt and pepper.
- Pour the hot sauce mixture over the chicken and toss the pieces to coat in the Buffalo sauce. Allow to stand for 10 minutes while the meat marinades.
- Put your croutons in a one gallon Ziploc bag and crush using a rolling pin.
- Add the parsley to your zip loc bag and toss to mix.
- Place the hot sauce-coated chicken into the Ziploc bag and toss to coat with the breadcrumbs.
- Transfer the breaded chicken breasts to a large baking dish.
- Bake chicken uncovered for 25–30 minutes, or until a thermometer reads 160º when stuck in the thickest part of the chicken breast.
- Remove the chicken from the oven and serve with your blue cheese slaw. I like to top mine off with a drizzle of the buffalo sauce and some blue cheese crumbles.