Whenever I want to try and drop a few pounds I typically opt for a low carb diet. That means cutting back on those delicious carbohydrates like pasta, bread, and potatoes. I really love my potatoes, and while there is no substitute for the real thing, this is as close as you can get to a loaded baked potato. This recipe is one of the many reasons I LOVE low carb dieting. I mean come on! A diet where you can eat bacon and cheese and still loose weight? You will not feel deprived while eating this for dinner. This recipe is certainly not a low calorie recipe, but it is a fantastic way to make a flavor packed vegetable dish that is very satisfying. If you have a picky eater that doesn’t typically like veggies give this a try. You may find out that they love cauliflower.
Note: If you want to make a healthier version of this recipe use low fat sour cream and cheese and substitute turkey bacon for regular.
head of cauliflower prepared and broken up into florets
1 c sour cream
1 c cheddar cheese, shredded
3 green onions, chopped
6 slices cooked bacon, chopped or crumbled
salt and pepper
- Bring a large pot of water to boil.
- Add in the prepared cauliflower florets and cook for 6–8 minutes or until easily pierced with a fork.
- Remove cauliflower from water and allow to cool.
- Preheat oven to 350º.
- While the cauliflower cools, stir together sour cream, 1/2 of the cheese, 1/2 of the green onions, and 1/2 of the bacon in a large bowl. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Chop cooked cauliflower into small pieces and add to the sour cream mixture. Be sure to give it a good stir.
- Place mixture in a medium baking dish and top with remaining cheese and bacon.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Garnish with the remaining green onions just before serving.