This was a side dish I recently made for Sunday brunch. It was easy, delicious, and made for a great presentation. Ham and asparagus has always been a classic combination and when you have the nice mild bite of Dijon mustard along with a creamy cheese sauce it’s suddenly even a little more fabulous. Be sure to bookmark this recipe if you are like me and always looking for brunch ideas. It is sure to be a great addition to any menu. Perhaps a Father’s Day brunch item?
Note: I prepared the asparagus rolls the night before and refrigerated them ahead of time. Then the morning of I just had to put together the sauce and bake it. One less thing to be dealing with in the morning.
24 asparagus spears
8 slices deli ham
3 tbsp butter
1 tbsp flour
1 c milk
salt and pepper
1 c cheddar cheese, shredded
3 green onions, thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Trim off approximately 1″ from the cut ends of the asparagus.
- Steam the asparagus for approximately 3 minutes or until crisp tender.
- Season the asparagus with salt and pepper.
- Spread a tad of the Dijon mustard on one side of each slice of ham.
- Place 3 spears of asparagus on each slice of ham and roll up. As you finish each one place them seam side down in a greased baking dish.
- Once you have prepared all the rolls get started on the sauce by melting the butter in a small sauce pan over medium heat.
- Mix in flour until well combined.
- Slowly whisk in milk, season with salt and pepper, and bring to a boil.
- Cook for 2 minutes until it begins to thicken.
- Stir in the cheese and green onions until cheese melts.
- Pour the sauce over the asparagus rolls and sprinkle with a dash of paprika.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and serve.
Recipe adapted from a Taste of Home.