This is one of the snacks I whipped up for my Super Bowl get together a couple weeks back and they turned out AMAZING! I find many of the store bought taquitos are too much tortilla, not enough meat. That is not the case with these, hence the name chubby chicken taquitos. These things are stuffed with all sorts of delicious flavors. In fact they were so filling I think they would even make an awesome meal. These aren’t spicy in the least so they are great for the whole family. Keep these in mind for a fun dinner or even your next fiesta!
Note: The recipe is written for baked taquitos but I fried half and baked half just to compare. They were equally good but the fried ones had a nice light crisp to them that was wonderful. Feel free to use your preferred cooking method.
3 chicken breasts
3 oz cream cheese, softened
1/3 c green salsa
juice from 1/2 a lime
1/2 tsp cumin
1 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 tbsp chopped cilantro
2 tbsp sliced green onions
1 1/2 c jack cheese
10–12 soft taco sized flour tortillas
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add chicken breasts.
- Boil chicken breast for 20–25 minutes.
- While the chicken is boiling, combine the cream cheese, salsa, lime juice, cumin, chili powder, onion powder, and garlic in a large mixing bowl.
- Stir in the cilantro, green onions, and cheese.
- Set the filling mixture aside.
- Remove chicken from pot and place on a large cutting board to cool.
- Using a large fork shred the chicken breasts to pieces.
- Preheat oven to 400º.
- Heat 3–4 tortillas for 30 seconds in the microwave (This makes them soft and easier to work with.)
- Spoon some of the chicken filling down the center of the tortilla and roll tightly.
- Place the finished taquitos seam side down on a parchment paper lined baking sheet making sure they don’t touch.
- Repeat with the remaining tortillas and filling until gone.
- Spray the tops of the taquitos with cooking spray and sprinkle with salt.
- Bake for 15–20 minutes or until crisp and golden.
- Serve with your favorite dipping sauce.