I have these fabulous friends who always have loads of fresh fruits and veggies on hand and I am lucky enough to have them share with me. The other day when I was visiting they had palettes of beautiful golden pears and I was fortunate enough to score some. Saweeet! I waited until the pears were perfectly ripe and then I created this delicious pear crisp for an office party. (My coworkers are so lucky to have me!) It was really a hit and super easy to make. Most people expect apple crisp when they see something like this so the pears are a pleasant surprise. They really were so sweet and packed with juice. Rather than an oat topping like many of my crisps, I made this with a streusel topping. This is a perfect fall dessert. I think I may be serving it up come Thanksgiving!
5 large pears, cored and diced
2/3 c sugar
1/4 tsp salt
STREUSEL TOPPING INGREDIENTS
1 1/2 c flour
1/3 c sugar
1/3 c brown sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 c pecans, finely chopped
1/2 c butter (1 stick), melted
- Preheat oven to 350º.
- In a large mixing bowl combine all the filling ingredients, pears, sugar, and salt. Set aside
- In a separate bowl stir together the following topping ingredients flour, sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, and pecans.
- Drizzle the melted butter over the dry ingredients stirring while you go until it is evenly combined. The mix should be nice and crumbly.
- Pour the pears into a large greased baking dish (7″ x 11″ worked great for me) and top with streusel crumbs.
- Bake for 30–35 minutes or until the topping just begins to turn a golden brown.
- Serve warm with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream.