Today is day 3 of my hot & spicy week! My jalapeño plant has been giving me more peppers than I know what to do with so this week I will be featuring five different jalapeño based recipes. I hope you enjoy each and every one!
Looking for a quick and easy side dish you can serve with your bowl of chili this coming winter? This is a great recipe I have been making for years. This takes the typical corn bread muffin and gives it a little extra kick. In my opinion, there is no better complement to a fresh jalapeño than cheese. These go great with a spicy rubbed steak and some grilled veggies or even a side of your favorite soup. They are incredibly easy to make since you’re taking a box mix and just spicing it up with a couple simple ingredients. Perfect for busy moms, or dads, short on time.
Note: You can use any corn bread mix you prefer. I just really like Marie Callender’s. These proportions are perfect for a mix that makes a dozen muffins. You also don’t have to use the muffin pan liners as the recipe is written. I just find that sometimes the cheese adheres to the muffin pan and can make it difficult to get the little rascals out when they aren’t used.
Marie Callender’s Original Corn Bread Mix, 16 oz
1 1/4 c shredded cheddar, divided
1 jalapeño, deseeded and chopped
1 jalapeño, deseeded and sliced
muffin cup liners (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375º.
- Prepare corn bread mix according to instructions.
- Stir in 1 cup of the shredded cheddar and the diced jalapeños, making sure not to over mix.
- Prepare muffin pan with liner cups and evenly distribute the muffin mix in each cup filling up about 2/3 of the way.
- Top each muffin with a slice of jalapeño and sprinkle remaining 1/4 cup of cheddar on top of each.
- Bake for 20–25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the middle.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for a couple of minutes before serving.