During the cold winter months I am a glutton for comfort foods. One of my favorite comfort foods is a big serving of rich and creamy beef stroganoff. Beef stroganoff is a traditional Russian dish typically made up of pieces of beef in a sour cream based sauce. I love that this recipe is not only delicious, but also really quick and easy. And what’s not appealing about a dinner that can be made in one pot? This makes after dinner dishes and cleanup a breeze. Beef stroganoff is filling and the leftovers are just as good as the night you made it.
Note: Be sure you use thinly sliced beef so that it doesn’t become tough.
2 tbsp olive oil
1 c chopped onion
2 c sliced mushrooms
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 lb beef sirloin steak, thinly sliced
2 tbsp flour
1 green bell pepper, sliced
1 (14 1/2 oz) can beef broth
2 tbsp Dijon mustard
2 tsp paprika
12 oz bag egg noodles, uncooked
1 1/2 c water
3/4 c sour cream
- Heat oil in large deep skillet or Dutch oven.
- Sauté onion, mushrooms, and garlic until tender.
- Add meat and cook until browned, stirring frequently.
- Mix in flour.
- Stir in peppers, beef broth, mustard, and paprika and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Add noodles and water and again bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 10 minutes or until noodles are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in sour cream and cook for an additional minute heating through.