I am in love with almost any recipe that can be prepared in advance and then just tossed in the oven. This recipe is one of those! I recently made it when a couple of friends would be stopping by for lunch. It was a quick visit so I knew I didn’t want to be in the kitchen while they were there. I assembled the whole thing that morning and then just put it in the oven when they arrived. Not only is great if you are having a couple of guests over for lunch but it is perfect for a picnic or even camping. You can make the sandwich ahead of time and then just toss the foil wrapped sandwich on the grille and turn it once or twice to keep the bottom from getting too crisp.
This sandwich is made in one large sourdough loaf that can be cut into 3-5 individual servings. It is literally packed with delicious flavors that go together really well. There’s just something perfect about the combination of hearty chicken pieces and thinly sliced pastrami, especially when smothered with gooey melted Swiss cheese and pressed together with perfectly toasted bread. I promise that you won’t find anything like this is your local deli. De-lish!
large sourdough loaf
1 1/2 c Swiss, shredded
1/2 lb sliced pastrami
2 c shredded rotisserie chicken
1/2 c roasted red bell peppers
3 thin slices of red onion
salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 400º.
- Cut an oval out of the top of the loaf and remove it.
- Tear out the inside of the bread leaving 1/2” thick bread shell.
- Spread mayonnaise and Dijon mustard on the inside of the loaf and the underside of the lid.
- Sprinkle half of the shredded Swiss in the bottom of the bread shell.
- Layer in pastrami, shredded chicken, roasted red peppers, onions, and remaining cheese.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Place the sandwich lid back in place and wrap tightly in foil.
- Bake for 20–22 minutes or until the cheese is melted and all of the ingredients are warmed through.
- Remove sandwich from foil and place on cutting board.
- Cut into desired number of servings.
3 thoughts on “Recipe—Chicken and Cheese Stuffed Sammy”
oooh this looks so amazing!