I have posted a few recipes now that call for puff pastry. As I have said before it is a great ingredient! I always keep it on hand in the freezer because it is incredibly easy to whip up some quick breakfast pastries. Here is a fabulous recipe for blueberry cream cheese danishes. One thing I love about these is that you can prep the rolls the night before, refrigerate them and then when you wake up in the morning all you have to do is slice and bake. Perfect for all the company you will be having over around the holidays!
Note: You can substitute the blueberries and jam for any flavored fruit jam you have on hand. I’m really fond of apricot too.
4 oz cream cheese, softened
1 tbsp butter, softened
3 tbsp sugar, divided
2 tbsp blueberry jam
1/4 c fresh blueberries, chopped
1 package Pepperidge Farm puff pastry sheets, room temperature
flour for work surface
1 tbsp water
- In a small mixing bowl beat together the cream cheese, butter and 1 tbsp sugar until smooth and creamy.
- Fold in blueberry jam and blueberries making sure not to over stir.
- Sprinkle flour on the work surface and unfold puff pastry.
- Evenly spread a thin layer of the cream cheese mixture over the pastry leaving one edge exposed about an inch back.
- Starting at the edge opposite from the exposed edge roll up like a jelly roll.
- Wrap your roll in saran wrap and chill in freezer for an hour or fridge for a couple of hours. (This will make it easier to slice through.)
- Preheat oven to 400º.
- Beat the egg and water together in a small bowl.
- Remove the saran wrap and cut roll into 1/2” slices.
- Place the slices cut side down on a parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- Brush the top of each spiral with the egg wash and sprinkle with remaining sugar.
- Bake for 14–16 minutes or until just starting to turn a golden brown.
- Remove the spirals from the baking sheet and allow to cool.
11 thoughts on “Recipe—Blueberry Cream Cheese Danishes”
those look incredible! I never would have thought about something like this, especially the refrigerating over night and slicing/baking the next day. So trying this out!
Thanks! They really are good. The fact that you can make them the night before is awesome! Perfect for the bustling holiday season. 🙂
I have some recipes for more brunch type ones too. Here is a recipe for ham and swiss and spinach and feta:
These look delicious!!
Why thank you! I think they are pretty darn tasty. It’s like eating blueberry cheesecake for breakfast! 😉
Omg I love this idea! I love anything pastry/bread related and I just bought new frozen blueberries & fat free cream cheese..weird coincidence haha I just might have to try these! Yum!
P.S if you mix cottage cheese, blueberries,1/4 a banana, a little splenda and vanilla & milk in the blender, then freeze for about 10-15mins you get the exact taste of yogen fruz frozen yogurt! lol Just thought I’d share since i think it would go perfect with one of these 🙂 (Recipe on my blog if you want)
Thanks so much for this! 🙂
Sounds like these were meant to be! Thanks for the recipe. I will definitely have to try it out one of these days. Have a fabulous week! 🙂
Yup! & no problem! You too! 🙂
I will be making these this weekend!! Thank I for the great recipe!! Xo
You are welcome. Hope you enjoy them as much as I do! 🙂