Seafood and Mexican are a match made in heaven. Throw in a margarita or Corona with lime and I am in heaven! For how delicious this recipe is you would think it would take longer to make, but that is not the case. It is relatively easy and comes together very quickly. The shrimp are so good that when I am on a low-carb diet I just eat a bowl of the shrimp with cheese and avocado. This meal is light, refreshing, and yummy in my tummy. Add my mango salsa and it’s a flavor explosion. I hope you enjoy the tacos as much as my family does. Buen provecho!
Note: This recipe is written for tacos but sometimes I use large tortillas filled with black beans and rice for some awesome burritos.
3 tbsp olive oil
1 c white onion, chopped
2–3 serrano chilies, deseeded and thinly sliced
4 tbsp butter
3 tbsp garlic, minced
2 lbs shrimp, peeled and deveined
1/2 c fresh cilantro, chopped
SOME FABULOUS GARNISHES
shredded pepper jack cheese
guacamole or sliced avocado
mango salsa (see recipe below)
pico de gallo
- Heat oil in a large frying pan over high heat.
- Add onions and chiles and cook stirring frequently until onions are lightly browned, about 10 minutes.
- Remove vegetables from heat and place in a small dish to the side.
- Melt butter in the frying pan over medium-high heat.
- Add garlic and cook for about 1 minute.
- Add shrimp to pan and cook until bright pink and no longer translucent. (Cooking time will vary based on the size of your shrimp. Cut to test and be sure they are cooked in the middle.)
- Return cooked vegetables to your pan and stir in with shrimp.
- Add cilantro, salt, and the juice from one lime.
- Put shrimp into the tortillas and serve with a slice of lime on the side.
See my mango salsa recipe here for a great pairing with these tacos: