In this recipe the zucchini replaces the noodle in what I would consider a flavorful spinoff of pasta alfredo. I have served it with just garlic bread but it also goes great with a grilled chicken breast for some added protein. The most time consuming part is slicing up the zucchini and carrots, once you get that done the meal comes together really quickly. To get a jumpstart on dinner cut up your vegetables the night before or in the morning and this dinner will take you less than 10 minutes.
3/4 c chicken broth
1/2 c white wine (If not available substitute additional broth.)
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1 large carrot cut into julienne strips
2 large zucchini, cut into 1/8” strips
2 yellow squash, cut into 1/8” strips
1 tbsp fresh basil, minced
1/4 c parmesean cheese, grated
1/4 c mozzarella cheese, grated
1/2 c half and half
salt and pepper to taste
- In a large skillet bring stock, wine, and cayenne pepper to a boil over high heat.
- Add zucchini and carrot, cover and cook until tender, about 3–4 minutes.
- Drain off most of the liquid.
- Add remaining ingredients to skillet and toss together.
- Cook just until the half and half comes to a boil and the cheese is melted.
- Garnish with a fresh basil sprig and serve immediately.