Perhaps it’s the Italian in me but I absolutely LOVE a good Italian sausage with peppers and onions. Ta-sty! This is a recipe I tried awhile back when I was trying to trim down on my carb consumption. You can use any Italian sausages but I really like Aidells Italian Style Chicken Sausages. They are flavor packed and the chicken helps cut down on some of the calories from the traditional pork or beef. The whole family loved this recipe! For those not watching their carbs, I served it with some crusty French bread and it was a perfect meal! Quick, easy, and delicious. That’s my style!
Note: The sausage and veggies are absolutely awesome in a sandwich too. Just grab a pack of sandwich rolls, load ’em up, and chow down!
2 pounds Italian sausage (I love Aidells Italian Style Smoked Chicken Sausage with Mozzarella)
4 tbsp olive oil, divided
2 red bell peppers, chopped
2 yellow bell peppers, chopped
1 red onion, chopped
1 fennel bulb, chopped
1 c dry red wine
1 c fresh parmesan, grated
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Add the sausage and cook turning frequently until they turn a nice golden color and are cooked through, about 15 minutes.
- Transfer to the sausages to a large plate and cover with foil to keep warm.
- Add the remaining 3 tablespoons of oil to the skillet along with all the veggies.
- Cook stirring occasionally until the vegetables are softened, about 12–14 minutes.
- Season the veggies with salt and add the sausages back into the skillet.
- Add the wine to the skillet and bring to a simmer.
- Continue to cook for about 4 minutes or until the wine has reduced by about half.
- Sprinkle with the grated parmesan and serve.
Recipe adapted from Food and Wine.