With summer quickly approaching farmer’s markets will start popping up, gardens will be getting planted, and the produce department at your store will be full of fresh goods. It seems as though every summer zucchini is plentiful and I am getting lots of the delicious green squash from family and friends. I have found so many ways to creatively cook zucchini and this is one of my favorites. It is a great side dish to accompany your favorite Italian dish, especially chicken parmigiana or a big bowl of spaghetti.
3 large zucchini
1/4 c yellow onions, minced
2 tbsp garlic, minced
3 tbsp butter
1/2 c fresh tomatoes finely chopped or canned petite diced tomatoes, drained
1 c Italian breadcrumbs
salt and pepper
1/2 c Parmesan cheese, divided
- Preheat oven to 350º.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add entire zucchini.
- Cook the zucchini for 8–10 minutes and remove from water.
- While the zucchini cools, sauté the onion and garlic in butter until tender.
- Add tomatoes to the pan and heat through.
- Remove pan from heat.
- Cut zucchini in half lengthwise and scoop out centers of the zucchini. (I find a melon baller works wonders for this!)
- Chop the pulp and squeeze out excess water.
- Add zucchini pulp to the pan and mix.
- Mix in breadcrumbs, salt and pepper, and 1/4 cup of the Parmesan cheese.
- Stuff the zucchini “boats” and place in a baking dish.
- Bake in oven for 10 minutes.
- Top with remaining Parmesan cheese and bake another 5 minutes.